Diarrhea is typically a short-term condition that resolves on its own. However, in rare cases, diarrhea can lead to dehydration and even death. If you are experiencing diarrhea and are not sure if it is serious, you should seek medical attention.
If your symptoms persist or worsen, you should seek medical attention immediately.
How can I help my child?
- Drink more fluids
- Eat a well-balanced diet
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on hard candy
- Drink plenty of water
When to seek immediate medical attention?
- You feel nauseous, have vomiting, or feel very tired
- You have fever, chills, or very dry mouth
- You have severe abdominal pain
- You are vomiting blood or have blood in your stool
If your child has been vomiting for more than 24 hours, they should also see a doctor in order to rule out any underlying conditions.
What if I have a fever?
It is recommended that you seek medical help if you have a fever over 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it is not necessary to go to the emergency room if you have a fever under 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
What if I have diarrhea?
According to the American College of Gastroenterology, over half the time, diarrhea resolves on its own. However, it is important to seek medical attention if you are experiencing diarrhea for more than 24 hours.
If you need to see a doctor, they will perform a physical exam and ask about your symptoms. They will also review your medical history and ask about other symptoms you may be experiencing.
After reviewing your medical history, the doctor will perform a physical exam. They will look for signs of dehydration.
What are the symptoms of dehydration?
Dehydration is a condition that causes your body to not have enough water. This is different than an electrolyte imbalance. When you are dehydrated, your body may not absorb enough water from your food.
Dehydration can cause the following symptoms:
- Dry mouth
- Dry eyes
- Shakiness or weakness
- Abdominal pain
If you have dehydration, these symptoms are not normal. If you experience any of these symptoms for more than 24 hours, you should seek medical attention.
What causes diarrhea?
The causes of diarrhea can vary. Some causes of diarrhea are due to:
- Intestinal parasites.
- Food poisoning.
- Food intolerance.
- Bacterial infection.
What should i do if i’m having diarrhea?
If you are experiencing diarrhea, follow the following tips:
- Drink water.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on hard candy.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Avoid eating greasy or fatty foods.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Eat foods that contain probiotics.
- Avoid foods that are spicy, salty, or contain alcohol.
When to seek medical attention?
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you should seek immediate medical attention:
- Severe abdominal pain
- Sudden weight loss
- Fever over 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit
- Vomiting blood or have blood in your stool
- You are vomiting for more than 24 hours
What are the complications of diarrhea?
The following are some of the complications of diarrhea:
If you have any of the following complications, seek medical attention immediately:
- Abdominal swelling or pain
- Diarrhea that is severe or lasts more than two weeks
- Stools that are brown, green, or black
- Stools that are watery or have a strong odor
When to see a doctor?
If you have any of the following symptoms, you should see a doctor:
- Severe abdominal swelling or pain
- Severe abdominal cramps
- Diarrhea that is very severe or lasts more than two weeks
- Stools that are watery or have a strong smell
- Stools that have blood or are very dark
What happens after treatment?
If you have been diagnosed with diarrhea, you should follow the treatment outlined below.
Medications that you should take include:
- Pain relievers.
If your diarrhea is caused by a parasite, you should take an antidiarrheal medicine.
If your diarrhea is caused by a virus, you should take an antibiotic. You should also take an antiviral medicine to prevent the virus from spreading.
If your diarrhea is caused by a bacterial infection, you may need to take antibiotics and an antidiarrheal medicine.
You should eat a well-balanced diet that is high in fiber. Eating foods that are high in fiber can help you absorb the water in your stool. This can help prevent dehydration.
Foods that you should eat include:
- Whole grains.
You should also drink plenty of water.
What can I do to prevent diarrhea?
The following strategies will help you prevent diarrhea:
- Drink plenty of water and eat foods that are high in fiber.
- Eat foods that are high in vitamin C.
- Eat foods that are high in B vitamins.
- Drink tea or coffee.
- Avoid alcohol.
What are some home remedies for diarrhea?
The following home remedies are some of the things that you can do to treat diarrhea.
- Drink water or other fluids.
- Drink a glass of milk or other dairy products.
- Eat bananas or other fruit.
- Drink apple cider vinegar or other types of vinegar.
When should i seek medical attention?
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you should seek medical attention:
- Severe abdominal cramping or pain
- Abdominal swelling or tenderness
- Very severe diarrhea that lasts more than two weeks
- Very watery or bloody diarrhea
What are the possible complications of diarrhea?
The following are some of the possible complications of diarrhea:
If you experience any of the following complications, seek medical attention:
- Severe abdominal swelling or tender
- Abdominal cramping or pain
- Diarrhea that is very severe or lasts for more than two weeks
- Stools that have a strong odor
- Stools that have watery consistency
- Stools that contain blood
- Vomiting blood
Talk to your doctor if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Severe abdominal swelling or cramping
- Abdominal cramps or pain
How can I prevent diarrhea?
You can prevent diarrhea by eating a well-balanced diet that is high in fiber and other foods that are high in vitamin C and B vitamins.
You can also prevent diarrhea by drinking water or other fluids. Drinking a glass of milk or other dairy products can help you get the nutrients you need.
What is the outlook?
If you treat your diarrhea and take care of yourself, you should recover in a few days.
However, you should seek medical attention if you experience any of the following symptoms:
Images by Freepik
Generated by AI