Acid reflux can lead to anemia.
Anemia is a condition that causes a person’s red blood cells to be low in number. It occurs when the body does not have enough iron to produce enough red blood cells.
One of the main symptoms of anemia is a feeling of tiredness or weakness.
Other symptoms of anemia include:
- Dark-colored urine
- Pale skin
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Shortness of breath
- Paleness or fatigue
A person with anemia may also have:
- Pale or bluish skin
- A dry cough
- A weak or tired feeling
- Difficulty breathing
- Swollen lymph nodes
- A sore throat
Doctors often diagnose anemia by measuring the number of red blood cells in the person’s blood.
However, anemia can also occur when the person’s red blood cells are too large or contain too few hemoglobin, or the protein that contains iron. The result is a lack of oxygen.
If the person’s heart is weak or their breathing is shallow, they may have difficulty breathing and may end up with pneumonia.
Other causes of anemia may include:
- An injury to the heart
- An infection
- A lack of vitamin B-12, which is in foods such as eggs, dairy products, and meat
- A vitamin B-12 deficiency, which can occur if the person has had a blood transfusion or has consumed foods that are low in the vitamin
- Kidney disease, which can cause a person to lose a lot of body water
- Certain medications
- A side effect of a medicine
- A side effect of a blood pressure or cholesterol medication
How to treat acid reflux?
If a person has acid reflux, the best way to treat it is to avoid triggering it in the first place. For example, people should avoid eating or drinking certain foods and beverages.
They should also avoid triggering a person’s acid reflux by lying down abruptly.
If this is not possible, they should keep a record of the foods and beverages that they eat and drink, and record the time of any attacks.
The person should then try to avoid acid reflux at these times.
If a person is experiencing acid reflux often, they should talk to their doctor about possible treatments.
When to contact a doctor?
A person should contact their doctor if they experience any of the following symptoms:
- Trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Swelling in the face
- Nausea or vomiting
- Pain in the chest that gets worse when coughing or sneezing
- Pain in the abdomen
- A headache
- A fever
They should also contact their doctor if they have a cough that gets worse at night.
These symptoms may indicate that a person is having acid reflux.
The doctor may suggest that a person avoid lying down for a long period after eating until the stomach is empty. They should also avoid lying down for a long period after eating.
However, if a person is experiencing these symptoms, they should not ignore them. Contact their doctor for advice.
What to do if you have acid reflux?
A person should work with their doctor to find the best treatment.
If a person has acid reflux and is finding it difficult to control, they may benefit from taking a prescription medication.
The doctor may recommend one of the following:
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). PPIs reduce the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
- Prokinetics. These medications increase the movement of food and fluids through the digestive tract.
Other treatments may include:
- Upper endoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. This procedure allows a doctor to check for any ulcers or other conditions in the lower part of the esophagus.
A person should take their medication as directed and not try to self-treat an acid reflux.
What causes acid reflux?
Acid reflux occurs when the contents of the stomach leak back up into the food pipe, or throat.
It can be triggered by:
- A large meal
- Foods that are high in fat, such as fatty foods, fried foods, and foods that contain high levels of fat, such as cheese, cream, butter, and deep-fried foods
- Foods that are high in sugar, such as sweets, candies, and pastries
- Certain medications that reduce the amount of acid in the stomach, such as certain antihistamines, decongestants, and birth control pills
In some cases, a person may simply be eating too much or eating food that is too spicy or spicy foods that contain a lot of acid.
People may also experience acid reflux if they are lying down for too long after eating and the contents of the stomach leak into the food pipe.
If a person notices that they have acid reflux at night, they can try to avoid lying down for a long period after eating until the stomach is empty.
How is acid reflux diagnosed?
Doctors can diagnose acid reflux by looking at a person’s symptoms.
The doctor may ask a person:
- If they have acid reflux.
- If they experience any of the symptoms.
- If they have been lying down for a long time after eating.
They may also ask a person about their diet and activities.
The doctor may also ask about the person’s medical history and any other symptoms they may have.
Other tests may include:
- Upper endoscopy. This procedure allows a doctor to check for ulcers or other conditions in the lower part of the esophagus.
- A hydrogen test. This test measures the amount of acid in the stomach and may be used as part of a full diagnostic evaluation.
- An esophageal manometry. This test measures the pressure in the esophagus.
What is the treatment for acid reflux?
The best treatment for acid reflux is to avoid triggering it in the first place.
For example, people should avoid eating or drinking certain foods and beverages.
A person should also avoid lying down for a long period after eating until the stomach is empty.
However, if a long period of lying down after eating is unavoidable, they should try to limit the time they spend lying down.
They should also avoid eating or drinking too much and eating or drinking too much alcohol before bedtime.
For example, a person should avoid:
- Large meals
They may also benefit from taking a prescription medication, such as a PPI.
Acid reflux is when acid from the stomach moves up into the esophagus. This causes a person to feel heartburn symptoms in the chest.
Acid reflux can lead to heartburn, which may cause them to feel tired or weak.
Images by Freepik
Generated by AI