A depression thesis is a report that summarizes your research into the topic of depression. This type of academic paper is often used in a medical school or university.
You can find a depression thesis online.
Thesis vs. article
A thesis is an academic paper that you’ve written yourself. It’s a more detailed write-up. An article is a shorter paper that you’ve written from scratch. There are several important differences between theses and articles.
A thesis statement is a short, introductory paragraph that sets out your central thesis. Your thesis statement should reflect your central question. It’s the first paragraph of your thesis. It should help you frame your project.
An article is a brief overview of a topic. It won’t have a thesis statement because there isn’t a central question.
A topic sentence is a sentence that summarizes the topic of your paper. It should provide the main point of your paper. It’s usually one of the first few paragraphs of your paper.
A summary statement is a short, general statement about your paper. It provides a quick overview of the main points you’ve made. You can write a summary statement in your thesis or an article.
Why is this important?
Writing a good thesis statement is important because it’s one of the first parts of your academic paper. It sets out the main idea of your paper. If your thesis statement is good, you’ll be able to see and discuss the main ideas you’ve made in your paper.
Writing a good thesis statement can be difficult. It differs from writing an introduction, because you’re writing about a specific topic.
It can be difficult because you need to consider the main ideas of your paper. You might want to write several thesis statements, but the best ones will be those that help you understand and support the main ideas in your paper.
Writing a good thesis statement
A good thesis statement should be:
- Clear and direct
It should be able to concisely summarize your central question or idea. It should also be relevant to your paper, and not just a general statement.
You can write your thesis statement in your paper’s introduction or in a separate paragraph. It should be the first paragraph of your paper, but it should be in your introduction.
A good idea is for your thesis statement to be at least two paragraphs long.
Examples of good thesis statements include:
- This research has been carried out to improve understanding of the complex relationship between depression and cognition.
- In this research, we have examined the effect of a single dose of mirtazapine, a new antidepressant medication available in the UK, on depression, cognition, and fatigue.
- The present research aims to understand the effects of antidepressant medications on brain function in those with major depressive disorder.
- This paper aims to understand the effect of the antidepressant drug mirtazapine on the central nervous system.
- In this paper, we aim to explore the effect of antidepressant medications on cognition in patients with depression.
For a more detailed explanation of how to write a good thesis statement, read our article on writing a thesis statement.
Writing a good introduction
A good introduction should:
- Set out the aim of your paper
- Summarize your paper
- Explain how your research relates to that aim
Examples of good introductions include:
- We have studied the brain activity of people who have received a single dose of mirtazapine. We found that the antidepressant medication caused marked changes in the brain.
- In this paper, we aim to determine the effect of antidepressant medications on cognition in patients with major depressive disorder.
- In this paper, we aim to determine the effects of antidepressant medications on cognitive function in patients with depression.
Writing a good conclusion
A good conclusion should:
- Summarize the main points of your research
- Summarize your main ideas
- Summarize the conclusions of this research
- Summarize the limitations of your research
- Summarize any important results
Examples of good conclusions include:
- Our results suggest that mirtazapine, a new antidepressant medication in the UK, can alleviate depression, improve cognitive function, and improve fatigue in patients with major depressive disorder.
- Mirtazapine may enhance the function of the hippocampus.
- This research provides further evidence for the use of antidepressants in the treatment of depression.
- We have found that patients with major depressive disorder treated with mirtazapine show improvements in cognitive function and fatigue.
- We have found that a single dose of mirtazapine can reduce depression, improve fatigue, and improve cognitive function in patients with major depressive disorders.
Writing a good abstract
A good abstract should:
- State the significance and importance of your research
- Summarize your research
- Summarize the methods you used to carry out your research
- Summarize the results of your research
- Summarize your conclusion
Examples of good abstracts include:
Writing a good introduction and abstract is important because it sets the tone for your paper.
Writing a good discussion
A good discussion should:
- Summarize the main points of your paper
- Summarize the main ideas of your paper
- Summarize your conclusions
- Summarize the main findings of your paper
- Summarize the limitations of your paper
- Summarize any important conclusions
- Summarize any important findings
Examples of well-written discussions include:
- We have shown that a single dose of mirtazapine can alleviate depression, improve cognitive function, and improve fatigue in patients with major depressive-disorder.
- We have shown that a single dose of mirtazapine can enhance the function of the hippocampus.
If you are unsure about how to write your thesis statement and introduction, you should check out our article on writing a thesis statement and introduction.
Images by Freepik
Generated by AI