Acidosis and acidemia can refer to the same condition, but they refer to different types of acidosis. This is because acidosis is a condition that causes your blood to be more acidic than normal. This is different from acidemia, which is a condition that causes your blood to be more alkaline than normal.
The difference between acidosis and acidemia is that the cause of acidosis is usually a problem with your lungs, while the cause of acidemia is usually a problem with your kidneys.
Acidosis is usually a very serious condition. It can lead to organ damage and even death.
When the kidneys are working properly, they make the hormone that controls acid production in the stomach. This hormone is called gastrin. When the kidneys aren’t working properly, the hormone is not made. This causes too much acid to be made.
Symptoms of acidosis
Symptoms of acidosis depend on the cause.
Symptoms of acidosis caused by low stomach acid are:
- Feeling as if you need to vomit more often
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling tired
- Feeling weak
- Feeling dizzy
Symptoms of acidosis caused by high stomach acid are:
- Feeling nauseous
- Abdominal discomfort
- Feeling bloated
- Muscle aches
- Nausea and vomiting
- Feeling weak and tired
- Feeling sick
- Feeling irritable
Causes of acidosis
Acidosis is usually caused by a problem with your lungs or kidneys.
Acidosis caused by low stomach acid is usually caused by a problem with your lungs. It can be caused by certain problems with your lungs, such as:
- Pneumonia: This is a lung infection where germs enter your lungs and cause inflammation.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): This is a lung disease that causes chronic problems with your airways.
- Lung cancer: Lung cancer is a type of cancer that starts in the lungs.
- Lung infections: This is a lung infection.
- Asthma: This is an inflammatory disease of the lungs that can cause symptoms such as trouble breathing and coughing.
Acidosis caused by high stomach acid is usually caused by a problem with your kidneys. It can be caused by certain problems with your kidneys, such as:
- High blood sugar: This is a condition that can happen when your blood sugar is too high.
- High blood pressure: This is a condition that can cause your blood to be too high or too low.
- Kidney failure: This is a condition where your kidneys no longer work properly.
- Kidney infection: This is a problem with your kidneys.
Who is at risk for acidosis?
Acidosis is more likely to happen if you have a lung infection or lung disease, such as:
- Lung cancer
- Lung infections
Acidosis may also happen if you have diabetes or kidney failure.
How is acidosis diagnosed?
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and your medical history. They will also do a physical exam.
They may ask you to do certain tests. These tests can help your doctor figure out what is causing your acidosis. These tests include:
- Blood tests. These tests can measure the amount of acid your blood has. They can also check for certain other conditions, such as diabetes.
- Urine tests. These tests can measure the amount of acid your urine has.
- Stool tests. These tests can check for the amount of acid in your stool.
- Electrolyte tests. These tests can check the amount of acid in your blood and in your urine.
How is acidosis treated?
Treatment for acidosis depends on the cause of the acidosis.
Treatment for acidosis caused by low stomach acid usually involves eating a bland diet. This can help the stomach make enough stomach acid.
Treatment for acidosis caused by high stomach acid may include eating a low-acid diet. This can help the stomach make less acid.
Some people may need to take medicines to help control their acid levels.
If you have acidosis caused by low stomach acid, your doctor will also tell you to:
- Avoid high-salt foods
- Drink more fluids to make up for the loss of liquid
- Exercise more
If you have acidosis caused by high stomach acid, your doctor may tell you to:
- Eat smaller meals more often
- Take antacids before meals
- Drink more fluids
Your doctor may also suggest that you take medicines to help your body control your acid levels.
What is the outlook for acidosis?
Acidosis can be very serious. It can lead to organ damage and even death.
Many people with acidosis will need to have acid-reducing medicines. These medicines can help your body make more stomach acid.
It may take time to get your acid levels in the right range. It may take a few months to a few years before you start to feel better.
Remember that acidosis is a serious condition. It is not a normal part of aging. It can lead to serious conditions, such as kidney failure.
If you have acidosis caused by low stomach acid, your doctor will tell you to:
Take steps to control your stomach acid when you have acidosis. This can help keep your stomach from making too much acid.
What is the best way to prevent acidosis?
The best way to prevent acidosis is to eat a low-acid, low-salt diet. This can help your body make enough stomach acid.
The best way to prevent acidosis caused by high stomach acid is to eat a high-acid diet. This can help your body make less stomach acid.
The best way to prevent acidosis caused by low kidney function is to make sure you get enough fluids. This can help your body get rid of extra acid.
Hypercapnia is a type of acidosis. It’s caused by too much acid in the blood. Hypercapnia can be caused by lung disease, heart failure, kidney disease, alcohol use, and so on.
Hypercapnia is a serious condition. It can cause brain damage. It can also damage the lungs and other organs.
Acidosis can be treated with rest and breathing exercises. If you’re experiencing acidosis, it’s important to get treatment right away.
Images by Freepik
Generated by AI