Most physical therapists are not doctors. Physical therapists take an education and training program that is at least a master’s degree from a school of physical therapy. The physical therapist must also pass a licensing examination before he or she can practice.
What is the difference between a physical therapist assistant and a physical therapist?
A physical therapist assistant works under a licensed physical therapist and is qualified to work with patients. A PT can perform basic physical therapy treatments. However, a PT can only work with patients who are referred by a licensed physical therapist.
What is a physical therapist assistant?
A PT assistant is someone who works under a physical therapist and is qualified to perform physical therapy. A PT assistant can perform basic physical therapy treatments for patients.
Can I be a physical therapist?
To become a physical therapist, you need a master’s degree in physical therapy from an accredited school of physical therapy, after passing a licensing exam.
What is the difference between a physical therapy assistant and a physical therapist?
A physical therapist is a licensed professional who has completed a doctoral program with a focus on physical therapy. A physical therapist can only work with patients who have been referred by a licensed physical therapist. A physical therapy assistant works with licensed physical therapists.
What is the difference between a physical therapist and a physical therapist assistant?
A physical therapist can treat patients who have received a diagnosis of a physical condition such as arthritis, back pain, and sports injuries, among others.
A physical therapist assistant works under a licensed physical therapist and is qualified to perform physical therapy. A PT assistant can perform basic physical therapy treatments. However, a PT assistant can only work with patients who are referred by a licensed physical therapist.
Is it safe to drive after a physical therapy session?
Yes, physical therapy is safe for most people to drive after a session. However, physical therapy may not be recommended for driving if you:
- Have a medical condition that makes you unable to safely operate a motor vehicle
- Are sedated or drowsy
- Have a seizure disorder
- Have a heart condition
In some cases, a physical therapist may need to supervise a patient’s driving after a session. Talk to the physical therapist or your doctor before driving to make sure that physical therapy is safe for you.
Are there any differences between physical therapy and occupational therapy?
There are significant differences between these two types of therapy.
Physical therapy is a specific type of therapy that focuses on improving mobility and improving the quality of life for patients who have mobility impairments. Physical therapy can treat many different conditions, including:
- Back conditions
- Joint pain, including those associated with arthritis
- Sprains, strains, and other soft-tissue injuries
- Muscle and joint conditions
- Nerve or nerve-related conditions
- Obesity and chronic illness
- Severe burns
- Traumatic brain injury
Occupational therapy is a type of therapy that focuses on helping people to perform everyday tasks and activities that are important for maintaining a full and productive life.
Occupational therapy can help patients with:
- Cognitive and memory issues
- Communication impairments and problems
- Emotional and social impairments
- Physical impairments
- Psychological impairments
- Sensory impairments
- Visual impairments
- Balance impairments
- Dexterity impairments
- Dexterity and balance impairments in older adults
- Vision impairments
What does a physical therapist do?
Physical therapists treat a wide variety of patients, from those with injuries or conditions to those with a variety of mental health conditions.
You might work alone or with a team of physical therapists.
Physical therapists often work in hospitals, outpatient care centers, nursing homes, and other healthcare facilities. Physical therapists can also work in schools and sports teams.
Physical therapists work with patients to help them recover from:
- Back pain
- Sprains, strains, and other soft-tissue traumas
- Vision and balance impairments in older adults
- Vision and balance impairments in children and adolescents
Physical therapists can also treat patients who have difficulty with:
- Exercise and nutrition
- Posture correction
- Cognitive and memory impairments
What do you do with a patient after a physical therapy session?
After a physical therapy session, you might:
- Teach a patient exercises that you’ve recommended
- Provide a patient with a follow-up appointment
- Encourage a patient to continue practicing physical therapy exercises
- Review a patient’s progress
- Make a referral to a physician for additional care
When should I contact a physical therapist?
You should contact a physical therapist if you:
- Have persistent pain or chronic pain
- Have difficulty in performing everyday activities
- Have an injury or condition that doesn’t improve with physical therapy
- Have difficulty with daily activities
- Develop weakness, difficulty with balance, or difficulty with coordination
- Have a chronic condition
- Have difficulty sleeping
- Have a family history of a chronic condition
- Develop a new chronic condition
How much does a physical therapist charge?
The cost of a physical therapy session can vary, depending on the type of physical therapy. Some types of physical therapy require less preparation and can be completed in one or two sessions. Others may take longer.
Physical therapy is not considered a medical service and therefore is not covered by medical insurance plans. The cost of physical therapy depends on the type of physical therapy and the degree of injury or condition.
Typical costs for a single session of physical therapy can range from $75 to $150, depending on the type of physical therapy and the type of treatment you need.
How to find a physical therapist?
To find a physical therapist, first ask your family doctor for a referral. Your family doctor can also refer you to a physical therapist.
The physical therapist can help you find a specialist in your area. You can search for a physical therapist using the American Physical Therapy Association’s Find a PT Services tool.
You can contact the American Physical Therapy Association at 8002299454.
Tips to help you find a physical therapist
- Look for a physical therapist who has experience with your particular condition.
- Ask your family doctor for a referral.
- Ask your physician or nurse practitioner for a referral.
- Use a search tool, such as the American Physical Therapy Association’s Find a PT Services tool, to help identify a physical therapist.
- Use the American Physical Therapy Association’s Physician Locator to find a physical therapist.
Physical therapy is a type of therapy that focuses on helping people to recover from injuries and conditions.
Physical therapy can help treat patients who have:
Images by Freepik
Generated by AI