If your fever is high, you may need to eat a lot of food to help get your energy levels back up.
However, high fever may also mean that you’re at risk for other health problems, so it’s important to talk to your doctor before making any changes to your diet.
Dietary changes may be necessary if:
- You have the flu or another illness that’s making you feel sick.
- You’re pregnant.
- You have a history of heartburn or GERD.
- You’re overweight.
- You have a digestive condition, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- You have a fever and a stomachache.
What foods should you eat to help your body recover from a fever?
If you’re recovering from a fever, it’s important to eat a variety of food. This is because different foods have different healing properties.
Some foods can help increase your energy level and help you feel better.
If you’re feeling under the weather, you may want to eat foods that are easy on your stomach.
For example, if you’re feeling sick, you might want to eat food that’s easy on your system, like broth or chicken noodle soup.
If you’re feeling sick, try to avoid foods with extra fat or sugar.
Here’s a list of some foods that may help you recover:
- Whole grains, such as brown rice
- Whole grains, such as oatmeal
- Sweet potatoes
- Lean meats, such as skinless chicken and turkey
- Low-fat dairy products
- Beans, such as black beans
- Legumes, such as soybeans
- Low-fat meats
- Whole-grain bread
- Whole-grain pasta
- Brown rice
- Chicken broth and broths
- Chicken noodle soup
- Chicken broth
- Chicken broth and bouillon
- Hot dogs
- Peanut butter sandwiches
- Peanut butter
- Lean meats
You can make a list of foods you eat and any symptoms you have.
Then you can ask your doctor about adding these foods to your diet.
For example, you can add a serving of vegetables to your diet.
However, you may want to limit your intake of fruit and whole grains while you’re sick.
To reduce your risk of getting a fever, try to stick to a low-energy diet.
This means you can’t eat a lot of foods that are high in fat, sugar, or salt.
If you do have a lot of energy, try to eat a variety of foods. This includes:
- Fats, such as olive oil, avocados, and butter
- Seeds, such as pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Nuts, such as almonds and cashews
- Vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts
- Low-fat dairy products, such as yogurt and milk
- Fatty fish, such as salmon and mackerel
- Low-fat cheeses
- Chicken soup
It’s important to keep your energy levels up by eating a variety of foods. This will help you stay at an even healthier weight.
If you have a fever, you can also try to stay hydrated.
Water is important to keep your body hydrated, especially when you’re feeling sick.
Foods that can help you feel better while also keeping your body hydrated include:
- Yogurt with live active cultures
- Low-fat cheese
- Low-fat yogurt
- Low-fat cottage cheese
When should you call your doctor?
If you’re recovering from a fever, you should call your doctor if you still feel sick.
You should also call your doctor if you have:
- A fever that lasts more than three days
- A fever that keeps getting higher
- A fever that doesn’t go down or get better
If you have a fever, you shouldn’t take any medications.
Instead, you should:
- Use a humidifier to keep your air moist.
- Stick to a low-energy diet.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Avoid spicy foods.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid cigarettes.
- Take a pain reliever.
What are the types of fever?
Fever is a symptom. It can affect any part of your body.
Common types of fever include the following:
- Fever with flu. This is when your body temperature rises and then goes down again. This type of fever is common in the winter months.
- Fever with cold. This is when your body temperature rises and then stays high.
- Fever without flu. This is when a fever is caused by another illness, such as the flu.
- Fever of unknown origin. This is when you have a fever that doesn’t have a known cause.
What are the symptoms of a fever?
Fever is a symptom. The following are the common symptoms of a fever:
- A high temperature that makes you feel hot to the touch.
What causes a fever?
If you get a fever, it’s because your immune system is making extra white blood cells.
Your immune system is made up of different parts called lymph nodes. These lymph nodes contain white blood cells.
During an illness, your body makes extra white blood cells. This extra white blood cell causes a fever.
How can I reduce my risk of getting a fever?
If you’re feeling sick, try to avoid foods that are high in fat, sugar, or salt.
You should also try to limit your intake of:
- Spicy foods.
- Sugary foods.
If you’re feeling well, you can eat a variety of foods. You can also eat foods that are low in fats and sugar.
What’s the outlook?
If you have a fever, you should get medical attention. It’s important to keep your body hydrated and eat a variety of foods.
If your fever goes down and gets better, you’ll only get better.
You should also rest as much as possible during the first 48 hours after your fever goes down.
You should take any medications your doctor gives you. These may help you feel better.
Images by Freepik
Generated by AI