Drinking fruit juice is one option for kidneys that are healthy. It is especially effective for people who have a protein called creatine. Creatine is found in muscle, so drinking fruit juice may lower the amount of creatinine in your blood.
Drinking fruit juice with protein can also help reduce the risk of kidney stones.
Drinking more water may help improve kidney health. It is also important to drink more water if you have kidney stones.
A study found that drinking more water may be an effective preventive measure for kidney stones.
If your kidneys aren’t working well, you may need to drink more fluids to stay hydrated.
A healthy kidney diet
A healthy kidney diet consists of fruits, vegetables, and lean protein.
A diet high in protein may help lower your uric acid levels.
The American Heart Association recommends that adults get at least 3 to 4 ounces of fluid per day. This is about the amount of water an adult would drink if they were drinking eight 8ounce glasses of water per day.
If you are a child, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you get at least 1.6 to 2 ounces of water per pound of your body weight.
The National Kidney Foundation recommends that you drink at least 8 8ounce glasses of water per 24hour period.
A healthy diet for someone with kidney stones
A healthy diet can help prevent or limit kidney stones.
A diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables may help prevent kidney stones.
A study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association found that the best way to prevent kidney stones was to get about 15 to 20 grams of high-quality protein per meal.
If you have high-protein diets, you may want to consider limiting your intake of other foods and beverages.
For example, one study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association found that eating a diet high in processed proteins may increase the development of kidney stones.
You may want to limit foods and beverages that contain a lot of sodium. These include:
- Salty foods
- Canned foods
If you drink many sodas or other processed beverages, you may need to limit your intake of those too.
If you eat a lot of processed foods like chips, cookies, and crackers, you may want to limit your intake of these too.
You may also want to avoid high-fat foods like fried foods, high-fat dairy, and fatty meats.
A healthy diet can help prevent any other health problems that raise the risk of kidney stones.
Kidney stones diet
The American Dietetic Association recommends that you avoid some foods that you may be eating more of.
- High-fat foods
- Spicy foods
- Acidic foods
- High-salt foods
- High-protein foods
The American Dietetic Association also recommends that you eat less of the following:
- Processed foods
- Fried foods
- High-fat dairy products
- Fatty meats
The National Kidney Foundation recommends that you eat a diet that is low in foods that are high in sodium.
- Low-fat dairy products
- Low-fat meat
- Baked goods with added sugar
- Packaged foods that contain added sugar
- Foods that contain a lot of sodium
Drinking more water can help reduce the risk of kidney stones.
The following factors may increase your risk for kidney stones:
- Age. Kidney stones are most common in people over age 50, but they can occur at any age.
- Diet. A diet high in salt, sugar, and unhealthy fats may increase your risk of kidney stones.
- Genetics. Certain family members have a higher risk of kidney stones.
- Weight. People who are overweight or obese may have more kidney stones than those who are of normal weight.
- Kidneys. Kidneys that aren’t working well may decrease the amount of urine that is filtered out. This may increase the amount of uric acid that is filtered out.
Kidney stones that develop during pregnancy can be life threatening.
Seek emergency medical help if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Frequent urination
Pain in your back, abdomen, or groin
- Extreme fatigue
- Bloody urine
Kidney stones that are very large can cause severe pain that is severe enough to interrupt your normal daily activities.
Seek emergency medical help if severe pain occurs.
In rare cases, kidney stones that cause blood in the urine may cause a blockage in your urinary tract. This blockage can cause a severe infection that can lead to sepsis.
This condition is also known as sepsis of the kidney. It’s a medical emergency that requires immediate treatment.
If you have any of the following symptoms, you should see your doctor:
- Pain or burning in the lower back, abdomen, or groin
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate
- Blood in the urine
Your doctor may refer you to a urologist.
Your doctor may use the following tests to diagnose kidney stones:
- Imaging tests. Your doctor may order x-rays and ultrasound tests to look for kidney stones or any other problems.
- Blood tests. A complete blood count (CBC) may be ordered to determine the levels of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets in your blood.
- Urine tests. A urine test may be ordered to look for blood in the urine.
- Urine culture. A urine culture may be ordered to determine if there are bacteria in your urine, which is a sign that you have a urinary tract infection (UTI).
- Kidney stone scan. A kidney stone scan is a CT scan that may be used to look for kidney stones.
- Kidney stone removal. A needle may be used to remove a kidney stone through the ureter.
If you follow a healthy kidney diet, drink plenty of water, and make certain dietary choices, you can reduce your risk of kidney stone formation.
If you find that you are having kidney stones, you can also try some lifestyle changes to help prevent them.
- Eating a healthy diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Eating less salt and caffeine.
- Getting plenty of exercise.
- Drinking more water.
- Limiting your intake of processed foods.
- Limiting or avoiding foods that are high in sodium.
If you have a urinary tract infection, you may need to avoid certain foods for a short time.
A healthy kidney diet can reduce your risk for kidney stones. Talk to your doctor if you are concerned about the amount of salt or caffeine in your diet.
Images by Freepik
Generated by AI